Monday, October 17, 2016

First day at the dialysis clinic

We had a fairly "normal" weekend.  We had some plans for yesterday (Sunday), but I was feeling especially tired so we decided to stick close to home.  Brad and Sean did run up to the Boot Hill Cemetery so Sean could see that.  And we took a couple of walks around the park, with rest breaks halfway.  I even got Brad's hair cut.
 I talked with my kidney doc about the fatigue, and she said it's a combination of sitting in the hospital for 10 days, and the extra fluid I am retaining.  They pull extra fluids off at each dialysis (today was 4 liters!) and I am sticking to my 1500 ml of water throughout the day, so eventually we'll get caught up.  I already feel a bit better tonight after dialysis.

So this was my first time at the clinic.  I think I have the routine down.  You weigh yourself and print it off when you arrive, go back and find your big comfy recliner, check that it's your name on the filter attached to the machine, and sit down and let them get to work.  Each chair has its own tv, so I watched some House Hunters.  When I was all finished, I had to weigh myself again... it's amazing how much 4 liters of fluid weighs!

A super cool thing:  I was sitting in my recliner, and the receptionist lady came back and asked me my favorite color.  I told her red, of course.  About a half hour later, she came back with this amazing quilt!  For me!  She said there's a group in town that makes them for the patients at the clinic.  I was pretty blown away!

We finished up the evening with dinner at the Longhorn Saloon.  My kidney doctor said protein is the big thing for me... that I should eat the protein first, and then anything else if I am still hungry.  In fact, she said she didn't care if all I ate was protein!  So when I saw the special at the Longhorn was flat iron steak and shrimp, I figured that was good.  I got some cole slaw for a side dish, but I really focused on the steak and shrimp... such a sacrifice!

This is the cool stained glass mural on the wall in the Longhorn.

Tomorrow we get up early to head into Tucson to meet with a surgeon who hopefully will give me a new dialysis port that will be in a better location... somewhere below my collar bone.  Brad and I have gotten pretty good at my hair washing routine, but this should make things easier.  We'll also be dropping Sean off at the airport.  It's been so nice to have him here, and get his medical perspective on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment