Friday, October 21, 2016

Good days are good for the soul

Yesterday was an all-around good day.  I felt good, felt strong-ish.  It might have helped that dialysis was super early in the morning, and then we had the rest of the day to ourselves.

Brad was able to do a little fix-up project... switching out the bathroom light from the fluorescent-strobe light, to an LED one.  As the old lights burn out, he's been replacing them with LEDs. 
I felt good enough to set things out for sandwiches for lunch, and then later browsed through the new Renal Diet cookbook for something I could make for dinner.  I settled on something called Ground Beef and Rice Soup.  I actually had everything on the ingredient list, but decided to use macaroni noodles instead of rice, just because.  And I let it cook down to more of a goulash instead of a soup.  It was really good.  Today I might try out one of the "salsa" recipes they have in the cookbook.  I don't know about tomato-less salsa, but I'm willing to try.
Anyway, it felt good to finally be cooking something again, and I didn't wear myself out doing it.  A shower and hair washing session perked me up too.  We finished up the evening listening to the National League game, and just doing **stuff**.  Now if I could get myself to sleep more than a couple of hours at night!

Ooh, and I looked up Halloween candy that I can have, because that's very important.  As luck would have it, it's not only a really long list, but most of my favorite things.  I've always favored the sugary treats over the chocolate ones.  A trip to Walmart after dialysis may be in order!  After all, never know if there will be any kids in the park on Halloween, and we want to be ready!

I woke up this morning feeling pretty good, even though I'm still having trouble sleeping more than a couple of hours at a time.  I don't know what's up with that, but as long as I have 4 hours in a comfy recliner at dialysis, I can get a little caught up. 

I had my couple of eggs for breakfast (protein protein protein!) and my one cup of coffee, and got a load of laundry going... it's the little things. A 1/4 mile walk around half the RV park rounded out our morning.  We did the 1/4 mile in 15 minutes.  About 5 of that was a quick rest on the clubhouse porch.  I'm getting better!

Dialysis went well today too.  Well, kind of.  I was freezing the whole time, we got started an hour late, and I couldn't get anyone to get me a set of earphones for the tv.  But the dialysis part went well. They are still taking off quite a bit of fluid each time, but it's good that they are able to, especially right before the weekend when I won't be coming in.

It's nice to be able to string two pretty good days in a row.

2 comments:

  1. ThAt Meal looks really tasty. It reminded me too that I like minced beef with rice.
    good idea on the LEDs they are much lighter on electricity usage.
    Glad you had a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This update makes me so happy! (But we really don't need to hear about the **stuff** you do at night....teehee!!!)

    ReplyDelete