Monday, November 2, 2015

Another rainy day, but exciting night last night!

Today's forecast looks a lot like yesterday's.


If it doesn't look like it's ever going to clear up today, I think we'll go check out a little museum in a nearby town.

In other news... OMG!!!!



It was a nail biter!  This was me from the 9th-12th innings:



For sure:


I have to admit, I may have bawled.  Okay, I did.  I've been waiting for this since I was just out of college, to happen again.

***************************************

Well, it's sure hasn't let up, rain-wise, so right after lunch we set off for Leslie, GA, just about 5 miles south of here, for the Georgia Rural Telephone Museum.  A couple of people had told us it was interesting.  You couldn't take pictures in there, so what pictures I have, I got from their website or brochure.  It is housed in an old cotton warehouse, set right beside the railroad tracks... A train went by while we were in there, and I thought it was going to come right through the building, it was so close!

A few pictures:






There were really way more telephones than these few pictures show.... All the way back to the very first ones.  It was fun seeing some of the old dial and push button phones, and remembering which ones we had in our houses.  I saw an old black one like my grandparents had in their office room at home, and saw a pay phone like they had at the Erie pool, where you didn't put your money in till the person you were calling picked up, so Grandmother Goley would have us call when we were ready to come home, and when she picked up, we were supposed to hang up, and she'd know it was us, and would come get us.

There were THOUSANDS of phones there.  The brochure says it is the largest, oldest, and rarest collection of telecommunications devices.

It was pretty cool, a good way to pass an hour or so on a rainy day, and for $5.00, not a bad admission price.


Once we got back home, I was ready to crash.  I couldn't get to sleep till after 4:00 this morning... Just couldn't get settled down.  So post- World Series Day crash and burn occurred!








No comments:

Post a Comment